Caveats, bugs and things to know
Any information regarding this page can be posted on the TINI Mailing List
(email@example.com) or sent to me directly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
A plain-text, printer-friendly version of these pages
can be found at Caveats.txt
Things to know about Beta 1:
- Support for long, float, and double primitive types (Long, Float, and Double classes as well)
- There is currently no support for trigonometric and most other methods
in the java.lang.Math class.
- Multi dimensional arrays implemented
- checkcast and instanceof work in all cases
- System.exit(int) implemented
- New Java I/O Support
Memory mapped I/O using any chipselect and address offset.
I2C using port pins P5.0 and P5.1 (C0TX and C0RX, pins 8 and 9 on 68 pin SIMM)
I2C using any two memory mapped latches.
Access to the available port pins on the processor (P3.0 - P3.5 and P5.0 - P5.3)
BE CAREFUL WITH THESE, YOU CAN RESET THE SMC CHIP AND CAUSE MAJOR DEATH AND
DESTRUCTION WITH THESE PINS! KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE HACKING.
- DNS and DHCP support
- The FTP Server now accepts mixed case commands for FTP clients that need this.
- com.dalsemi.nethack.EthernetAccess class has been deprecated.
Look at the com.dalsemi.tininet.TININet class for the same
functionality. Any deprecated classes will be removed before the
- Java URL class support (http:, ftp:, mailto:, file:)
- TMEX iButton communication layer added to API
- Minor Java Virtual Machine speedups
- Minor memory management speedups
- Updated tini.jar
- Updated JavaKit
- i2ctest - Simple example on how to use the I2C interface with port pins or memory mapped latches. Talks to DS1621 temperature sensor at address 0x90.
- 19200 bps version of JavaKit now available
Slush in Beta 1:
- FTP SERVER
The FTP server now accepts case insensitive commands for FTP clients
that need this.
- FILE OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS
Files now have an owner name associated with them.
If you execute the command 'ls -l' you will see a screen
-rwx--- root 673 09-13-99 16:40 index.html
-rwx--- root 186 09-13-99 16:42 web.log
-rwx--- root 531 09-13-99 16:39 EchoServer.tini
-rwx--- root 4186 09-13-99 16:40 TINIWebServer.tini
drwxr-x root 3 00-00-00 00:00 etc
The permissions for etc, from left to right, indicate directory(d),
owner-read(r), owner-write(w), owner-execute(x), world-read(r),
NOT-world-write(-) and world-execute(x).
Permissions are associated with each user account.
New commands include:
- startserver - Now works for FTP and Telnet servers
- downserver - Now works for FTP and Telnet servers
- nslookup - Obtain IP addresses for DNS names, or do reverse lookups.
- ipconfig - Can set IP address more than once. Can also set primary and
secondary DNS servers.
- su - Assume the identity of another user
- logout - Same as exit
- who - Show who is logged in
- whoami - Prints current user name
- setenv - Display or set environment variables
- wall - Send a message to everybody's terminal
- history - stores a history of commands executed at the slush prompt
Use !!, !<str>, !#, or up and down arrows to access
- source - Execute commands in a script file
- genlog - Toggle log file generation on boot
Type 'help' at the command line to display a complete list of
Deprecated and bugus methods:
- The byte getBytes() method in java.lang.String is deprecated in Beta 1.
- Calling nextInt() on an instance of java.util.Random causes TINI to reboot.