Celestial Horizons Basic Compiler
Purchasers of Mark III Kit can download and license the Flash Limited
Edition of Celestial Horizons'
Basic compiler. This special edition of the
Flash Basic Compiler is included in the price of the Mark III Complete Kit.
Flash Limited Edition
For the Mark III Robot Kit
CH Basic is one of the four "supported" languages for the Mark III Kit,
and is by far the easiest one to learn and become productive in.
Celestial Horizons has made this compiler available to the
Portland Area Robotics Society at a very low cost in order to promote
robotics, especially through workshops and school projects.
You must purchase a Mark III Kit to be entitled to a license
for the Flash Limited Edition. You can purchase the Mark III Kit at
the Mark III Store.
The software and license key are not enclosed with the kit, but are
available from this page by following the procedures below.
Downloading the Flash Limited Edition Compiler
Please select the installation computer carefully!
Be sure to install only on the machine that you use for programming
the Mark III. While you can download the Flash Limited Edition file
to anywhere, the license is only enabled for the computer used for installation.
- Click on the logo to initiate download:
(3.82 MB - 4,011,421 bytes)
- Save the downloaded file in a temporary directory (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\TEMP).
Then unzip it into that directory or another directory.
- Run SETUP.EXE.
The license ID Number generated by the installation procedure is unique,
and the password that you receive will only allow the compiler to run on
that specific machine.
For example, if you download and install the Flash Limited Edition on your
desktop, you cannot later decide to run the compiler on your laptop.
Obtaining the Flash Limited Edition License
- The startup screen contains the ID Number (in red) that is required for generating the
password. This ID Number is hardware based, so it will be different for
everyone and depends on the hard disk. Cut and paste the ID Number
from the startup screen to an e-mail.
- E-mail the ID Number, your name
and e-mail address to:
with the subject title: "Mark III Basic License".
Remember, you must send all three:
in order to obtain the license password. Your
personal information is needed to generate the password.
- The password will be sent to your e-mail by Celestial Horizons.
Enabling the Flash Limited Edition License
- Startup the Flash Basic Compiler, e.g.
C:\Program Files\CH Flash Basic\FlashBasic.exe
- Cut and paste the password to the box labeled "Input
Password". Your compiler is now licensed.
Licenses for Group Buying
If you are buying multiple Mark III Kits for a workshop, a school project
or any group, you must submit the kit recipients' names and e-mail
addresses to MarkIII@pobox.com
so that we can validate that they are entitled to the license through
your purchase. Each kit recipient will need to individually
apply for a password through this web site. Their names and
e-mail addresses will be checked against your list in order to establish
eligibility. Individual license requests are necessary to provide
us with the correct ID Number ensuring that the password recognizes
the correct machine.
Support for the Flash Limited Edition
Support for Celestial Horizons Flash Limited Edition is available through
the members of the MarkIII Discussion Forum
on Yahoo! Groups. Mark Gross is the official proponent for running
Basic on the Mark III. Sample code will soon be available in the software area of the official Mark III web site.
Getting the Flash Basic Programmer's Guide
The Flash Basic Programmer's Guide is available on-line here.
Additional information is available from Celestial Horizons' Documentation and Example Code page
and includes tutorials,
a list of commands and the Flash Basic FAQ.
FAQ: Flash Limited Edition Basic Compiler from Celestial Horizons
- What is the Celestial Horizons Basic Compiler Flash Limited Edition?
- Celestial Horizons
has made an arrangement with the Portland Area Robotics Society
to license a special edition of the v. 3.7.0 Flash Basic Compiler
for the Mark III Kits. Their intent is to make the compiler available
at a very low cost to support the PARTS mission to promote robotics
as well as the workshops and school projects for which the Mark III is intended.
- What are the limitations of the Flash Limited Edition Compiler?
- This is a fully functioning version of Celestial's high end Flash Basic
compiler, v. 3.7.0. It is limited to supporting the PIC 16F877
chip that is used in the Mark III kits. Only a few commands have been
removed. These functions are not needed in the Mark III. They are:
- Analog Comparator (used on PIC16F627/628)
- LCD functions (Initialization, printing characters and
integers, printing floating point variables)
- SPI communications
- Do I get CH Scope Tool bundled with the Flash Limited Edition?
- No, CH Scope Tool is an analog data collection utility not ordinarily used
- What if I have not purchased the Mark III Kit?
- You are not eligible for the Flash Limited Edition License. However, you
can download an evaluation version or purchase the full Flash Basic Compiler
from Celestial Horizons.
Mark III kits are available at cost from the Mark III Store, and the right to license the Flash Limited Edition is included.
- Can I upgrade to the full Flash Basic Compiler?
- You can buy the full version of the Flash Basic Compiler from Celestial Horizons.
You will receive a $10 discount, which was the cost of the Limited Editon
Compiler made available with your kit. You additionally receive CH Scope
Tool, an analog data collection utility that is free with the full compiler.
- Can I use my license password on more than one machine?
- No, the license password is only valid for the machine on which Flash Basic is installed.
- What if updates become available for the Flash Limited Edition compiler?
- The license agreement for the Celestial Horizon's Basic Compiler allows for
free updates to the Flash Limited Edition as they become available. This is
normally done by web download from this page.
- What if I need my Flash Limited Edition compiler installed on a
- When you purchase the Mark III Complete Kit, you might want to install the
Flash Limited Edition on a second PC or laptop. Perhaps you need one copy at
home or a second one in your workshop. Whatever the reason, Celestial
Horizons will provide you with the extra licenses you need. So, if you
require a second license, or you need to reinstall the compiler because you
have just upgraded your PC, then please send the new ID number with your
name and e-mail address to email@example.com. Remember to
include all three: name, e-mail and ID number. Celestial Horizons will
usually send the license within 24 hours.
- Does the Flash Limited Edition license expire?
- The Flash Limited Edition license does not expire. However, license
requests for the password to enable your license must be made within
the current calendar year (through December 31, 2002).
- Where can I get additional information?
- Example code and advice is available for the Mark III from
the MarkIII Discussion Forum of Yahoo! Groups and on the software area of the Mark III web site.